Wednesday, May 24, 2017

 

A Busy Spring in the Sports World


An understatement, to be sure. Baseball, hockey, basketball...and football is just around the corner. As an almost avid Bills' fan, I listen to 550 on the am dial for all the news from the Bills' camp.


The Royal Bank Cup wrapped up last Sunday in Cobourg. The Cougars won the title with a dramatic 3-2 overtime victory. Ryan Casselman, from Napanee, tied with game with just over a minute remaining. Nick Minerva scored the winner to seal the deal.


Minerva's comments after the game: “I saw the puck come out, it kind of bobbled a little bit. I saw that the Brooks guys didn't challenge me at all. I blacked out and closed my eyes, took the hardest shot I ever took in my life, and it went in! It still hasn't hit me, to be honest with you.”


Cobourg had defeated Penticton in the semi-final. Cobourg forward, Theo Lewis, gearing up for the final game, summarized his thoughts. “It means the world. I kept thinking today that I don't want this to be my very last day of junior hockey. I want to keep fighting. I want to do everything that it takes to win the game, and be competing for the national championship. So I was fortunate to come up with that game-winning goal.”


Brooks defeated Terrebonne in the other semi-final. Captain Nick Prkusic, was also ready for the final. “Tomorrow is my final junior game, no matter what. Everything I've been through with these guys, this would be so spectacular just to finish it off this way with a win). I can't wait to get out there and give it our best.


For those of you who were expecting to see the game on TSN, as advertised, there was a glitch. The World Hockey Championship, that thing they have for losers in the Stanley Cup playoffs, ran overtime, including a shootout. It cut well into the RBC time. I think Sweden beat Canada in the final, in case you are remotely interested.


The Nashville Predators knocked off the Anaheim Ducks last night to gain a berth in the Stanley Cup final. Pekka Rinne was his usual spectacular self, leading the team to win the Clarence Campbell Bowl. As is tradition, no one dared to touch the trophy. Bad luck. The only silver that the players touch is the Stanley Cup, but only after they win it.


The Golden State Warriors advanced to the NBA finals on Monday night. The Boston Celtics have momentarily halted the progress of the Cleveland Cavaliers. I am certain LeBron will rectify that in the next couple of days to set up a date with the Warriors.


                                                                   LeBron James

And yes, the Toronto Blue Jays had a bit of a hot streak, only to be followed by a few losses. They dearly miss Donaldson and Tulowitzki, among others, at this point in the season. They are a very competitive club, but they are running out of time, even at this point in the season. I am sure the club brass is seriously mulling over dramatic changes.


A great time for sports fans!


James Hurst
May 23, 2017.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?