Friday, August 24, 2018

 
Ouch!!




As a slight change of pace from the usual column, I thought I might take a moment and write about truly horrible losses in sport. You know, the ones where you are left scratching your head, muttering, “What happened?”



These moments may happen in all games and sport. They can also happen in political situations as well. If you are a Torontonian, I do not need to elaborate on that.


For the most part, I refer to those times when your team has an almost insurmountable lead, with little time left in a game. You begin to count all the ways that you might spend the fortune you have won, if you are a gambler. You break into an enormous smile in your living room, as your friends are suffering defeat. You are awaiting that moment when you are about to receive all the accolades. You will get to raise the trophy above your head. You will do a victory lap. Your driver will do victory donuts on the infield.


And then, and then? You guessed it. Something dreadful happens. Sometimes this occurs slowly, painfully. Quite often, instantly.


It can happen at all levels of sport. Example. There is a bar near our place in Fort Myers that has enough television sets to fill every living room in Scarboro. And it has one giant screen that shows the most important game. A few years ago, we went there to see a World Junior Hockey Championship game between Canada and Russia. All of the circumstances surrounding that game are now muddled in my brain. But I do remember that the Canadian squad was leading by three goals at the start of the third period.


At that point, I should have remained humble. But that did not happen. I began to high-five all of the other Canadian supporters at the bar. We wore red shirts. There were plenty of maple leafs. Some carried little flags. Little did we know that there was some chemistry brewing in the dressing rooms before the start of the third period. I suspect that the Canadian dressing room was quietly confident. Goodness only knows what was going on in the Russian room.


The Russians began to nibble away at the Canadian lead. I began to feel that something dreadful might be happening. When they cut the lead to one goal, you wanted the coach to call a time out to halt the collapse. It felt like a great freight train was barreling down the tracks at you, and there was not a damn thing you could do about it. At the end of the game, we filed quietly from the bar. I swore to myself that I would never again get so carried away in such a situation.


I came very close to doing the same thing the other night. The Ottawa Red/Blacks were ahead of the Argos by twenty-four points in the second half of the Canadian Football League game. I was about ready to turn out the lights because I thought the party was over. I was sure I could hear the fat lady singing loudly. Alas! Wrong again.


The Argos' quarterback, an unlikely hero named McLeod Bethel-Thompson, began to hit his stride and led the Double Blue to an improbable 49-48 victory. He sailed a pass into the end zone in the dying seconds of the game. It was snatched, just in bounds, by Armanti Edwards to win the game. That victory has likely changed the entire season for the Argos. The Red/Blacks were left licking their wounds.


Fans of the Buffalo Bills can provide you details when you mention two words: wide right. The team went to four Super Bowls without ever tasting champagne. More recently, the Toronto Maple Leafs experienced a third period collapse against the Boston Bruins.


I am sure you get the idea. It just hurts.

James Hurst
August 7, 2018.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?